Tuesday, February 16, 2010

gifts of sustainability

This year our Valentine's Day gifts to each other reflected a huge shift in our priorities towards living a more sustainable life. One of the things we have been working on is establishing a sort of "permaculture" at our house. When we moved into this house, there were already two pomegranate trees, a grapefruit tree, a lemon tree, and a key lime tree. We now have six laying hens, have started composting on-site, grow our own herbs in a beautiful large pot in the front yard, and have a raised vegetable garden bed in the backyard. For Valentine's Day, I gave Kirsten a gift of more permaculture. We had two more fruit trees planted by a local nursery (Civano's): a Pink Lady apple tree and an Asian Pear tree. With all the rain we're having this month, they might just fruit next year...

Another thing we've been working on is reducing our waste stream. This was started with recycling first, then adding our non-meat food waste to the compost, now we are working on "pre-cycling" where you don't use or buy things that are packaged excessively or with materials that are non-compostable or non-recyclable. To that end, Kirsten gave me a very cool gift. A stainless steel "to-go food" container. Similar to this, although I'm not sure where she ordered my actual gift: I love it! It's perfect for to-go situations, and even just for taking a lunch or snacks on the road. Awesome gift honey!

1 comment:

Julie said...

Hey there! Surprise, it's Julie Nicolay (can't believe you guys have been here all this time)! I, too, am living a life of as little waste as possible and sustainability as I can as a renter here. I ALWAYS have in the car, containers with lids and a sectioned cafeteria-style tray so at potlucks, etc., I'm not using a plate and have to go containers at the ready! I don't eat out much with my tiny budget, but if I do, I've got my yogurt containers to hold my leftovers! I haven't used plastic bags in 2 years (for ANYTHING; I'll carry my stuff out in my arms if I've forgotten to put the bags back in the car!), I don't buy much stuff unless it's from the thrift store and don't buy much processed food, so very little packaging other than cans from beans and some things in bags, boxes, etc., but they ALL get recycled! :)